Are you ready to follow the horsemen?
The “Following The Horsemen” or short FTH, is a 6-day tour following Lesotho’s historic trading routes. In 2017 were part of a film shoot about this route. CLICK HERE TO VIEW. Through this journey you will get to know the friendly Basotho people, their daily routines, customs and how rural life is like in Africa’s Mountain Kingdom. Three out of 7 nights will be in simple accommodation (one night in a tent and two nights in abandoned trading posts along), the other 5 nights are in very comfortable mountain lodges.
The tour can be booked as follows:
1) HIKING ROUTE: 1-6 days exploring the historic trading routes of the Basotho people on foot
2) CYCLING TOUR: 1-6-stage MTB Enduro Expedition, riding Africa’s best natural & hard single track
* Both options come with an experienced guide.
Arrival at Roma Trading Post Lodge, purchasing of basic supplies & cash withdrawals are possible here.
Flight or transfer to start of expedition in Semonkong, check-in to Semonkong Lodge and start of circular route to explore the mighty Maletsunyane Falls and the gorge
Packing of gear and horses and ride/trek to Thaba Tsoeu (White Mountain), camp spot next to river in a remote valley
Route from Thaba Tsoeu – Ramabanta via the notorious Baboons Pass (the oldest trading route in this part of the country) Accommodation & meals at Ramabanta Lodge
Route from Ramabanta up the Makhaleng River valley to the former Trading Post at Ha Simione. Accommodation in tents and meals prepared by the village.
Route from Ha Simione to Nyakosoba, following old and new trading routes between two former Trading Posts. Accommodation in tents and meals prepared by the village.
Explore trading routes as well as Lesotho Sky single track from Nyakosoba to Roma.
Optional activities, e.g. visit of historical mountain Thaba Bosiu, Post- visit the National Museum in Morija, tour of the National University
Total distance covered on the Following The Horsemen Tour:
By Bike: approx. 150km
On Foot: approx. 120km
- Airport pick-up and drop-off in Maseru (or safe parking for your vehicle)
- Transfer to the start of the hike
- Experienced Guide from Lesotho with first aid qualification etc
- Luggage transport (with pack horses and vehicles)
- Lodge accommodation 4 nights (en suite)
- 2 nights in abandoned trading posts
- A visit to the chief’s place in Ha Simeone
- 1 night in a tent (must bring own sleeping bag; tent and mattress are provided)
- Meals (breakfast, lunch packs and dinner)
- Traditional meals cooked by the community on Day
- Clean mountain spring water from the Maluti Mounains
- Alcoholic drinks and soft drinks
- Tips for guide & staff (at your own discretion)
PRICES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST & DEPENDING ON SEASON AND GROUP SIZE